Cases and Results
- For a real estate investor with properties in California and New York, JSC prevented foreclosure through bankruptcy and stripped down millions of dollars from mortgage balances, won interest reductions, and obtained Chapter 11 plan confirmation in a short time.
- For another real estate investor whose primary (non-real estate) business had collapsed, and who had huge credit card balances from trying to save the business, JSC worked out millions of dollars of mortgage stripdowns, reduced interest, eliminated unsecured debt, and obtained Chapter 11 plan confirmation.
- For a real estate investor with apartment buildings in Southern California, JSC stripped down millions of dollars from mortgage balances, won interest reductions, and obtained Chapter 11 plan confirmation in a short time.
- For a real property owner who operated her business out of the property, JSC eliminated the junior mortgage, successfully negotiated a significantly reduced interest rate with senior mortgage holder, and obtained Chapter 11 plan confirmation.
- For a real estate investor facing foreclosure of a property because his initial bankruptcy counsel failed to stop a secured creditor from obtaining relief from the automatic stay, JSC persuaded the court to reconsider the relief order. Cohen then defeated the motion for relief from stay on grounds that secured creditor did not have the legal right to enforce the mortgage through foreclosure.
- For a manufacturer of defense products and industrial environmental control products, the firm won a rare order protecting key officers (as well as the company itself) from Lender’s lawsuit, to promote corporate stability and reorganization in Chapter 11.
- For an accountant - expert witness who was owed a large fee by clients that filed Chapter 11, JSC brought about a quick dismissal of the Chapter 11 case, despite vigorous opposition by parties represented by a large national law firm.
- For a Philadelphia-based receiver for a Ponzi Scheme promoter who had bilked investors across the country, JSC instantly won release of millions of dollars that had been impounded in United States District Court in California.
For a physician wanting to windup a dysfunctional corporation of doctors, JSC calmed internal dissension, conducted orderly corporate meetings, negotiated agreements among doctors, and worked out releases from the corporation’s landlord and from the corporation’s bank, to segregate guarantees and reduce client’s liability by 80%.
For a doctor whose practice and personal finances collapsed when he suffered an auto accident, JSC instantly stopped a bank account seizure, then won a rare order (despite conflicts) permitting simultaneous representation of not only the medical corporation in its Chapter 11 case, but also the doctor and his wife in their parallel Chapter 11 case.
For a physician with a portfolio of failed real estate investments, the firm worked out and completed a sale of a condominium development by reconciling claims of six different aggressive lenders to promote reorganization in Chapter 11.
- Consistently, in representation of Chapter 11 debtors, JSC has won the court’s most meaningful acknowledgment of value added -- approval of professional fee requests.